Our quality olive oil makes this muffin soft and moist.
This is not an overly sweet muffin so the glaze is a nice touch. Delicious when split and toasted with a pat of butter!
The original recipe called for 8 tbsp (1 stick) of melted butter. It’s been replaced with our delicious olive oil for added health and moisture!
You can make mini, regular, or jumbo muffins as well as a loaf with this recipe. It will yield 12 regular muffins or 6 jumbo muffins.
Toss in fruit if you’d like- blueberries or raspberries would be perfect .
- 3 C All purpose flour
- 1 C sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C plain whole milk yogurt, or low fat, or higher fat Greek yogurt*
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (opt, definitely use if you like lemon flavor)
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp Pour Olive’s olive oil-
(I used a mix of our lemon olive oil and classic olive oil. You can use all classic olive oil, butter olive oil, all lemon. Any mix you’d like)
- OPT- 1 to 1 1/2 C fruit, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- coarse sugar for sprinkling, opt.
*If you use Greek yogurt- add about 1/8 – 1/4 C of water to help thin the batter a bit.
- Preheat oven to 375*F (350*F for convection ovens) and grease or line a 12-muffin tin with liners.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet into the dry ingredients and fold together until combined (don’t over mix of you’ll get tough muffins). This is where you would fold in the fruit if using any. Better will be thick (especially if frozen fruit is added).
- Fill muffin pan with batter, just shy to the top of the muffin cup. Bake for 20 mins. then rotate the pan. Bake till a bit golden on top and a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.
- While hot, brush the muffins with syrup then sprinkle with coarse sugar. Allow to cool for a few mins then remove muffins to a cooling rack.
Keeps for a few days in a sealed container or a week in the fridge- ENJOY!
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in small sauce pan, bring to a simmer for about 3-5 mins till a syrup forms.