Similar to Pound Cake, just a bit lighter!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar (+ 2 tbsp for a sprinkle if desired)
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest (omit for other flavors if needed)
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (choose your flavor or blend of flavors)
- 3/4 cup whole milk (you can use alternates)
- Heat oven to 350* (convection ovens to 325*). Grease a 9in spring form or regular pan (any shape).
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside.
- Using a whisk attachment, whip eggs on medium till foamy then add in sugar and zest, a bit at a time. Whip on high till eggs are light/fluffy and have become a pale yellow, about 2-3 mins.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil, mixing only until fully incorporated- about 1 minute total. (Over mixing will start to deflate your eggs.)
- On slow speed, add half the flour mixture till combined. Add all of the milk till combined. Add last half of flour mix till combined.
- Scrape bowl and give it a quick beat if there are a few lumps.
- Pour into chosen pan, sprinkle with reserved sugar if desired. Bake for 30-45 mins depending on your oven situation, rotating halfway through once the cake batter has begun to set.
(Cake is done when slightly golden, springs back to the touch, pulls away from the sides SLIGHTLY).
- Cool, remove from pan, then cool completely. Serve as desired!
Change up the flavor of this cake EASILY:
use plain olive oil + fall spice blends
use orange olive oil only + cardamom and top with caramel
use orange or plain olive oil only + cinnamon, vanilla and top with cinnamon sugar
use whatever your tastebuds desire
Finish off this cake with various toppings:
a sprinkle of granulated or powdered sugar
a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of our balsamic
a scoop of whipped cream and a drizzle of our balsamic with berries